Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wake UPS Call

I was sitting in our dining room when I heard the familiar rumble and saw the UPS truck, blowing through the stop sign like it usually does. For a brief second my heart sped up and I was thinking "Maybe there's something for me!" Like a Pavlovian response. And then my rational mind kicked in, but for a brief second I was stuck in "More stuff? Cool!" mode.

Where does this response come from? As a stay-at-home (mostly) mom, receiving things via mail kicks in early, with the zillion baby presents that flood in from family out of state. I saw Pat the Postman and our cute UPS guy more often than my girlfriends. It was a respite, a pick-me-up, a way to mark the time. (Having a new baby in Feb. in MN is especially isolating, on top of the new mom lethargy.) And for Christmas presents? My kids think Santa works at Amazon.com.

Clearly, if I'm not doing online shopping, we'll be getting less deliveries. No more mindless web-shopping at 3 am for me. But hey - there's always Ebay! Right? As long as it's used... Already looking for technicalities and escape clauses; not a great sign.

( A practical aside, I must say that Ebay and Etsy are great concepts, but often completely overwhelming. Even Craig's List and Freecycle are too much work to peruse. Hopefully I'll be able to narrow down what I'm shopping for and it will be more successful. And after today's frigid temperatures, I'm jonesing for some boots that will actually keep adequate circulation in my toes for more than 5 minutes. I know, I ask for a lot.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback and suggestions, provided they are constructive. Thanks.