Sunday, January 18, 2009

Don't put off 'til tomorrow what you can procrastinate right now

Okay, I'm a dork. Still trying to catch up from Christmas, energy and to-do list, etc. It seemed like all of a sudden I didn't have too much hanging over my head. Way to invite the fates in...

Some backstory:
This Sept. the kids and I volunteered at lovely Camp Knudson, as per usual. One of the activities was a hayride. And the farm was lousy with kittens, and I was feeling particularly weak-willed. Especially when the owner mentioned she'd already placed 50+ from the local farmers, and she was worried about the littlest one, as it was getting cold at night. This is how Spot joined our family. She's darned cute, and incredibly patient with the kids. She annoys our Zelda to no end, however, and that had seemed to improve. Until this morning, when she's making these unearthly noises - half purr, half yowl - and licking her butt. Alot. The signs were unmistakable, but I was still in denial. So I googled - and she is officially a Cat in Heat.

When we brought Spot back to the cities, we proceeded immediately to the vet. $200 later and this free kitten doesn't seem like such a bargain, especially since she was hosting a myriad of parasites and had to be contained for a few more days. And there were shots the next month. And some vague talk about getting her spayed, soonish. I had a bit of sticker shock - $270 was the estimate. I filed that in the eventuality column, and sort of spaced out. She's an indoor cat, I don't intend her to have kittens, yes I'll do the responsible thing, etc. She's just over 6 months old, and honestly I thought I had more time. That foray into denial has come to a screeching, yowling halt.

I read some more web pages, and one of the handy ways to deal with a cat in heat apparently involves a Q-tip and some quality time. Seriously. I'm not making this up. I shudder even as I write this. In what parallel world is getting my cat off an option??? Yeesh. But if she yowls all night every night for the next week, I may be revisiting that thought, as revolting as it seems.

A darling kitten? $0.
Vet costs: $270
Getting her fixed so you can sleep through the nite: priceless.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.rescueremedy.com/

    Rescue Remedy is your friend. It got me through a similar week when I had a Tom cat that needed to be transitioned from an outdoor to an indoor cat. I would dose him and he would sleep for HOURS (HOURS I tell you).

    You can get it at Seward, Wedge, etc.

    ReplyDelete

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback and suggestions, provided they are constructive. Thanks.