Monday, January 12, 2009

Goodwill to All

We dropped off a trunkload of clothes and kitchen stuff at Goodwill today, and I thought I'd go inside to check out what was available. This should have been a warning - there wasn't anything in particular I needed - oh, wait! Boots - yeah, that's it.... "Just looking" usually leads me to find something worth buying... So an hour later, I check out with an R/C car for X, art stickers for L, 4 rolls of gift wrap, 3 books, a storage bin with lid, 4 pairs of school pants, 2 pairs of stretch pants (everything is now capri length on that girl; she's like a flamingo with hair) a nice blouse and a gorgeous wool cardigan for yours truly. All this for $57.00, as a bunch of stuff was half off. And most of it looks brand new. To temper my enthusiasm, I need to remember I went in there solely for the purpose of looking for winter boots for us. As snow was getting knee-high on my preschooler, it seemed a pressing concern.

So - second hand or not - I am still capable of a shopping spree. I guess that's not particularly a good thing, but I look at my parallel experience of dieting - go without for too long and you feel deprived, justifying a binge but having no ability to reach satiety. Mindful is good, but only if you're in your right mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback and suggestions, provided they are constructive. Thanks.