Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hope, in small doses

I have to say that today's inauguration was awe-inspiring, seeing that many people there to celebrate history in the making. My 6 year old thought it was boring, but she has yet to develop appreciation of fine oratory skills.

From the high point to the low - a frantic call from Bob, stuck in a meeting where even more layoffs were being announced. Three middle managers, with years at MPR, joined the club. And more dire warnings of needing to cut costs 7% across the board. I don't have the math or the mettle for these equations. And I'm beginning to really hate Tuesdays.

Thinking that a 10% pay cut is better than a 100% one, Bob and I have decided the best thing to do is to ask his boss to "rightsize" his salary. Not sure if that will help, but it probably won't hurt. We're going on vacation next week (gig in FLA) and the added baggage we'll be taking: Is it more likely to layoff the guy who's off anyways? Shouldn't we be saving every penny? Fiddling while Rome burns has never sounded like a solid financial plan. Granted, Bob will be playing tango on the bandoneon, but the comparison is still apt.

Too busy today, between tours of the preschool, work at the group home, multiple playdates, etc., laundry, packing, going to Bob's gig - to even contemplate shopping. Usually before a vacation I am tempted to stock up on a few novel toys for the kids - 3 hour flights can seem so much longer with the chorus "I'm bored." I did manage to score an appalling amount of Polly Pockets complete with their squishy ridiculous clothes and miniscule shoes - for all of $4 at Unique thrift store last fall. I'll dig out some rarely-played with items for X, and might damn ourselves mightily with teeny Legos to step on, in bare feet.

Speaking of feet, X's recent growth spurt has left us with exactly one pair of shoes and one pair of boots. Not remotely tenable, I say to myself. Of course most people on Earth aspire to one pair of shoes... I would like to get a simple pair of sneakers, that don't light up or feature cartoon characters and way too much velcro. I always was a dreamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback and suggestions, provided they are constructive. Thanks.