Sunday, January 11, 2009

'nuff said

I was surprised to learn that my friend Pam - who I haven't spent quality time with in way too long - is trying the voluntary simplicity route this year as well. It's encouraging to hear thoughts, share tips, and get support. She said that it's not saving her any money as yet, and she draws the line at used shoes. (I'm more apt to say - how used???) And both of us will be buying brand new underwear, unapologetically.

Does this qualify as a movement, yet? Why this year? Is it because everyone is nervous about the disappearing 401k and the tenuous job? Or did we cut back on spending for Christmas this past season and noticed no discernable drop in quality of life so hey - let's see how far we can take it?

I see a parallel with the gas prices and the impact on driving habits. I think the most I paid all year was $4.30 a gallon during our summer road trip. And all of the sudden you'd see people second-guessing their SUVs, carpooling, hypermiling, buying more efficient cars, etc. The Geo Metro is now sought-sfter as an efficient, cheap car to run & maintain. I had one for 10 years. I loved it, everyone else just shook their collective heads. Gas prices started to drop in the fall as demand decreased, and call me a cynic but I thought they were kept artificially low in the hopes of making voters a bit less angry. This week I paid $1.89 a gallon. But if the drop in SUV sales and increased interest in electric cars is any indicator - there has been a significant correction in our endless-oil delusions.

Nice rant, but how does it all connect? Once people start to realize that buying things doesn't help you feel secure - and buying on credit actually makes you less secure - there is a decrease in demand. I think that attempts to strictly limit purchases are an extreme response to a needed correction in our thinking as a over-materialistic society. Maybe the retirement fund is half of what it was, and there are no bonuses or raises this year, and everything costs more - but you're one of the lucky ones who still has a job. Doesn't it seem tasteless to blithely spend as always? Insecurity, a show of fraternal support, hoping to save more of a cushion for when your pink slip comes up - it seems to all add up to well, less.

Less is more. Thrift is the new black. Fashionistas make way for recessionistas. Are we soon to be consumed by our lack of consumption? I believe the pendulum will swing back to a more balanced approach, but not for a while. And hopefully I will have developed a more insightful understanding of the role purchasing stuff - or the lack 0f, thereof - has in my perceived wellness. I've got all year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback and suggestions, provided they are constructive. Thanks.