Wednesday, September 9, 2009

School daze





We've made it to Day 2 of school. X is fairly excited about Kindergarten, while L is already whiny about homework that hasn't yet been assigned... Stay tuned.

Part of the fun this first week is that I usually miss (when I'm up north volunteering at Camp Knutson with a group of mentally ill individuals from our county) - all the First Week of School potlucks, picnics and playdates. So I'm amazed at how much socializing is built right in, for students and their families. And perhaps I'm figuring out how everyone else seemed so much closer and on the ball.... all along I thought I was either not fitting in, or just wasn't getting it. Behold, the power of paranoia.

The morning of Day 1 was touch-and-go for a bit though - entirely my fault for not actually trying on X's new shorts or seeing exactly what size logo shirts we had. One shirt worked, but the shorts fell down with the least wiggle, which X of course found hilarious. (his comedic repetoire is primarily pratfalls and goofy voices, but pants-falling-down-while running/jumping is a close third) Saved by the belt, which was an off-hand purchase at a garage sale this summer. Not auspicious timing to introduce X to important technology such as belts (which may make the difference between successful toileting and a lifelong supply of playground taunts) , but no pressure, as he's excited about everything right now so to him, it's all good. L had a "newish" jumper with a hemming job that would be kindly described as "incomplete" but was really my half-assed incomplete effort, which featured a needle still in the hem, which L pointed out, with a rather dramatic sigh. Aaaargh.

I stopped by the "Boo Hoo Breakfast" for tepid church-basement coffee and my semi-annual donut. I was focused on trying to get all those names and faces out of mothballs, so I can at least appear socially skilled, which really takes quite a bit of energy. I was contemplating what to do with the (tick tick tick) 3 hours of "free time" before I needed to pick up the kids at 11:30 and head off to a picnic playdate.

Still a tad shaken by our wardrobe malfunctions of the morning, I stopped off at the Uniform Closet where I scored a pair of pants and shorts for X, and another jumper for L. (it's a great resource to check first, before you trot out to purchase new) Since we were in serious need of groceries, my friend Tracey and I decided on a run to SuperTarget. This is the default plan of busy moms everywhere - try to have a visit while doing a necessary errand. Normally, I revert right into girlfriend shopping behavior, but Tracey has tried to do the voluntary simplicity thing too, so it's not exactly as fun as when we'd enable each other. Like two Mormons at Happy Hour - glad to be there, but... something missing in the mix, ya know?

I was sorely tempted to spring for a new wallet (as mine no longer shuts due to its unfortunate trip along River Road - see July's last entry) and a lovely pair of maroon suede Converse, but I backed away slowly while practicing my breathing. I'd like to say that worked, but in the end I was placated by the vicarious pleasure of Tracey buying herself a pair instead. (True confessions: I felt a tad superior, as I walked out with no "no-no's" whereas she opted for a couple that were a little questionable on the simplicity scale. And then those gorgeous sheet sets she wanted at the stunning price of $56 for 450 thread count cotton - I just had to admit I purchased two brand new sets at the Salvation Army for $15 each. That would be the 'skinflint slap', in case we are keeping score. Which we're not. This is not a competition - but having peers to keep you accountable and talk thru the thought processes behind purchasing decisions - truly priceless)

I did wind up having to purchase new school shoes for both kids, but the backpacks and lunchbags are reused, as is the majority of their uniform stuff. I need to come up with Navy blue bike shorts to be worn under the jumper, as L is a bit active and in danger of showing her undies. But I may just cut down some of her blue pants and call it good enough. (might even hem them all the way around. Madness, really.)

So if necessity is the mother of invention, and necessity is manipulated by the marketing whizzes, we moms are left with lots of leeway to figure it all out. And using all the skills and resources available while trying to outfit your kids but teaching them about the actual value of stuff - that one's a real mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback and suggestions, provided they are constructive. Thanks.