Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Unbearable Stuffness of Being

I resisted the siren song of the garage sale epidemic this weekend. Seriously? Entire blocks! I like the cooperative nature of the multi-family & neighborhood sales. And of course, it encourages recycling. But not reducing... it takes more willpower than I currently have to walk away from bargains and neat finds, even when it doesn't pass the "necessary" test. I still, however, am haunted by the finds that I walked away from. Even if they weren't for me, I usually had a pretty good idea of the perfect home for that .... whatever. Too many items to list here.

Buyer's remorse? More like restraint remorse... But once I've had something around long enough, it doesn't matter where it came from, eventually I get so tired of looking at it/dusting it/giving it space - I want it gone.

Remember all those Bible passages that talk about the necessity of casting off all those possessions and being free to pursue all things spiritual? On my good days I really get it.

Imagine the disastrous event that takes your whole house but you have a moment to grab one item... Of course the people and pets are safe, but what would you absolutely have to keep? I think I'd need the photo albums - although I have the memories and more importantly the experiences. Everything else is just stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback and suggestions, provided they are constructive. Thanks.