Sunday, August 23, 2009

Dog Days o' Summer

I'm continually grateful for the resources of a major metro area. Really, what are the chances I could complete this project in an area without a thriving second-hand business? And there is only so much that can be accomplished on Craig's List and EBay. As much as I hate Walmart and haven't shopped there in over a decade, what would I do if I lived out in the sticks and that was the only store around? (The answer: it's a moot point. I would go stark raving nuts long before we ran out of sundries...)

Today's free, low environmental impact, non-consumption activity? I biked over to my friend Pam's, and we took her dog Boo (terrier-something) to the Dog Park. I've heard of these places, occasionally aware of the public debate, have friends that frequent them daily and develop their social lives around them - but had never actually set foot in one. Quite the education.

I love dogs. I do. I happen to be allergic but I'm still a fan of the canine, in all it's crazy shapes, colors, and personalities. So it was like people watching, but for a cuter, furry crowd.

I know people that call their dogs their "children" and that's fine with me. I'm more offended if you refer to my children as dogs, although the Xman does, in fact, fetch quite nicely.

More than anything else, the dog park is like a giant playdate and a singles' bar, rolled into one. This particular park goes down to the Mississippi so there were legions of retrievers um... retrieving, very impressive dog paddles, and the distinct aroma of wet dog. It was controlled chaos - most guests and their people were exceptionally well-behaved. The usual protocol of wagging tails and sniffing butts prevailed. There were even a few spirited games of tag. Considering how many people/pet combos there were, it was amazing how ... civilized...it all was.

So it seems there is this parallel society, which I was fortunate enough to visit today. Very sociable, for humans and dogs alike. Endlessly entertaining, and refreshing. Especially later when we retired to a shady porch with a good local brew.

These dog days of summer aren't so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback and suggestions, provided they are constructive. Thanks.