Monday, October 12, 2009

Type A Minus


After 18 years of living in Minnesota, you'd think I'd learn.
Each and every year I fail to get the garden put to bed BEFORE it's covered in snow. Granted, this is pretty damn early, and hopefully it will at least stop snowing, and maybe even start melting sometime this week. Meanwhile, my garden looks quite festive, bedecked in snow balls.
Since we did invest a lot in the garden this year, I was hoping to mulch everything well and have lots of bagged leaves for next spring, especially the natives which don't do as well with bark mulch. Slight problem: leaves are still on the trees, only now they too are covered in snow.
I had also planned to bring the lavander indoors, to brighten up a gloomy winter - once I was done drying the blossoms and buds for potpourri. And a pot of mint for the kitchen - do you know what the street value of that stuff is in, say, February? There were green tomatoes to spare, and for my dad's birthday it's his favorite pie. Also basil for pesto. And more peppers than I know what to do with, so why not dry them and make ristras?
Who the hell am I kidding?
These are the projects that go through my mind, in no particular order, when I should be sleeping. And not getting to them in time is both a curse and a blessing. I'll never be out of ideas, but without the motivation to actually start any projects, I won't run myself ragged.
Yay me!
I was going to put photos in albums today and then design the custom photo calendars for Christmas. I think I'll just sit quietly until the urge passes, while watching the snow come down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback and suggestions, provided they are constructive. Thanks.