Friday, October 30, 2009

Food for thought


Okay, I must admit Halloween was a tad more stressful than usual around here.

I had continued to come up empty on the skeleton costume until just this week, but a friend found an awesome jumpsuit with front and back glow-in-the-dark bones, shoe covers, gloves, and a mask that X probably won't wear. (I may just stuff it, drape gummy worms out of the eye sockets, and put it over a winter hat as hey, it's going to be 40 degrees.) Thanks Pam!

Technically, I didn't buy it until all other options were exhausted. Although I could have sewn it, I was exhausted.

I'm helping with L's 2nd grade Halloween party this afternoon. Props for awesome party planning by Karen (check out her store at www.motherearthgardens.com ) but she is deathly ill so I'm pinch hitting.

I was on for making cupcakes, frosted a la zombie, which is all the rage. I used cream cheese frosting, a tad of red, yellow, green food coloring, and a piping bag. Mind you, I dreamed about how I was going to do these last night - including a confectionary catastrophe that involved a last minute trip to Michael's for supplies. So when I woke to find I really did not have the right piping tip for the frosting, it was a tad eerie. I had one of the flower ones, too ridgy for brains. I was inspired to make one out of plastic, but then just took some pliers and bent back the points on the flower tip, so it gave undulating irregularities. Creepy enough for you?

Some of you more anatomically-aware types may notice the prefrontal cortex is a tad underdeveloped. Well, it's the seat of judgement and isn't fully mature til your mid-20's, so there.

These will be served along with string cheese with carrot fingernails, and swamp juice (food coloring + juice + gummi worms).

Happy Halloween, everybuggy!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback and suggestions, provided they are constructive. Thanks.