Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

Seems like Earth Day and all things about "green" living are all over the media this month. You know the economy is bad if talking about the environment is now a "fluff piece" in the evening news. I don't remember other years being quite so intense. National Geographic has a great piece on green roofs this month. The Sunday New York Times magazine was entirely devoted to environmental issues. Just to mention a couple that are well worth reading.

I've been closely following developments in technology that make possible living more mindfully about the energy we use, and the waste we leave behind. I'm still hopeful. There are small but positive signs - our neighborhood is overrun with Priuses and fully electric cars, not to mention lots of year-round intrepid bikers. From where I sit on my front step I can see an impressive solar panel display on a nearby duplex. At our garden store, the plants came in compostable pots made of rice, corn and bamboo. Small, hopeful changes integrated into every day life.

I know there are plenty of economic reasons why available technologies aren't more widely used, or aren't given enough research and development resources. I just don't want to hear them. That's usually Bob's role as Primary Killjoy, and I get lost in the stream of statistics on return investments and undue burdens on early adopters. So geothermal heating and cooling systems are unbelievably expensive to install (@$40k) and may never fully repay the initial cost... shouldn't we be doing it anyways?

That is the royal "we", by the way. People who can afford to pay more for a house or car can subsidize the industry until technology is well enough established to be put in reach of lower income consumers. On an entirely volunteer basis, of course. We should spend our money on the lifestyle we value - and for too long that has meant a high-consumption one. With so many people un- or under-employed, savings and stock options eviscerated - living large has become socially unacceptable enough that those still solvent try not to brag about it. Maybe similar societal pressure can be brought to bear on environmental sensibilities. And not just from the alternative crowd - mainstream folks giving the message that conspicuous consumption just isn't a status symbol or virility enhancer.

I admit I flip off Hummers. I do. Whether or not the kids are in the car, even if I'm not wearing mittens. The way I see it, driving a ridiculous gas guzzler well outside a military purpose is a way of screaming derisions at the environment and those who revere Mother Earth. I'm not alone - check out www.fuH2. It's moderately amusing in an admittedly sanctimonious way. Just because I'm approaching my dotage doesn't mean I don't enjoy acting juvenile.

Time to get out and enjoy the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback and suggestions, provided they are constructive. Thanks.