Sunday, March 15, 2009

Shakers: more than simple furniture

It seems that wherever I turn, there's a discussion on the economy, personal responsibility, and how we can find the illusive "enough". I think it's a co-function of my increased awareness and a sign of the times. Plenty to ponder, and good blog fodder.

We're members of St. Joan of Arc Parish in Minneapolis, which is nominally Catholic but serious about social justice and putting faith in action. I can always count on food for thought, and today was remarkable. It touched on about a zillion themes about renewal, values, simplicity and put it in the context of cleaning house, spiritually and emotionally.

What follows is the Shakertown Pledge, which was developed by several spiritual leaders representing various faith tradition.

"Recognizing that the earth and fullness thereof is a gift from our gracious God, and that we are called to cherish, nurture, and provide loving stewardship for the earth's resources; And recognizing that life itself is a gift, and a call to responsibility, joy, and celebration. I make the following declarations:
1. I declare myself to be a world citizen.
2. I commit myself to lead an ecologically sound life.
3. I commit myself to lead a life of creative simplicity and to share my personal wealth with the world's poor.
4. I commit myself to join with others in reshaping institutions in order to bring about a more just global society in which each person has full access to the needed resources for their physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual growth.
5. I commit myself to occupational accountability, and in so doing, I will seek to avoid the creation of products which cause harm to others.
6. I affirm the gift of my body, and commit myself to its proper nourishment and physical well-being.
7. I commit myself to examine continually my relations with others, and to attempt to relate honestly, morally, and lovingly to those around me.
8. I commit myself to personal renewal through prayer, meditation,and study.
9. I commit myself to responsible participation in a community of faith."

How committed am I? Depends on the day. How would it work if everyone had occupational accountability - how to decide what constitutes harm? Who decides if computers and cars do more harm than good? What about wine? To quote a particularly odious Big Stone County attorney, "How dare you put a value judgement on my value judgement?"

There's a slope slippery enough to lead to sanctimony, and we know that doesn't actually lead to productive dialogue, much less lasting behavioral change. But I'd have to say reminding myself daily of these 9 pledges would be a step in the right direction: more mindfulness, realization of interconnectedness, and being more responsible in day to day decisions. Is it all good? No, but some days it might just be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback and suggestions, provided they are constructive. Thanks.