Monday, December 7, 2009

Ideas for next year...

Yes, I've fallen off the wagon (again) - I purchased new stuff at Target for the needy. I figured they had already checked out the stuff at Salvation Army and still had needs... So sue me.

I've mostly been too overwhelmed with personal trauma/drama to even write about stuff, but for the most part I am not compulsively shopping new or used stuff at present. I'm not eating or sleeping much, either. That's a whole 'nother blog. I'm trying to settle on a title that isn't hugely offensive. Perhaps I should wait until the bitterness wears off before setting out into the blogosphere? Yeah, there's an app for that.

Anyhoo-

Would I do this again? How about less as an experiment then just a new mindfulness habit when it comes to consumption? It's like the temporary diet fix vs. lasting lifestyle change. We'll see.

Scrounging around for blog ideas, I look to you, Gentle Reader(s?):

Ali is bravely suggesting not shopping - not setting foot in a store - for 2010. Does this mean her husband has to do all the shopping? Necessitate Simon Delivers or some other on-line grocery service? Wouldn't you need a maintenance dose of Target, like methadone for heroin addicts???

Bob suggests buying NOTHING from China - is that even possible? Everything from apple juice to tooth brushes to cordless phones is from China. Alternately, everything ever made probably contains Chinese ingredients - so where do you draw the line?

Molly Ellen brings up the valid point that homemade treats and other feats of domestic industry become an entitlement, and get devalued accordingly. Really - those Target cookies I bought for the kids for classroom snacks weren't a total ripoff if I factor in my time beyond slave wages? Sweet justification, that.

I'm trying to get my time valued, by the way. Two job interviews this week. Wish me luck.

Your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Luck!

    It all comes down to mindfulness doesn't it? I know I couldn't go a year buying second hand. But I think about what I purchase everytime I go to the store. I think about, useful life, quality, china, can I live with out it, can I make do with something I have, Jon has to work 1 hour to pay for xyz. I have just added the how long does Jon have to work to my purchasing equation. That one gives me a whole new perspective.

    ReplyDelete

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback and suggestions, provided they are constructive. Thanks.