Saturday, November 21, 2009

Back from the brink,

... only to find yet another yawning chasm opening up at my feet.

There really is way too much going on in my life right now, and this project hasn't even made the top 10 in weeks, although I am still back on the wagon. (Ordering photocards from Snapfish doesn't count, does it?) As much as I'd like to dish on the Nicholas Sparks novel that has apparently taken over the plot points from my previous life, I'm thinking that's a whole 'nother blog. Perhaps one named something catchy like "Token Economy for the Emotionally Retarded"
Sigh. Don't ask. Or do; just don't expect a coherent response.

This week my friend Tracey proudly pointed out that in the 9 years I've known her, I am now seeing her debt free for the first time ever. Awesome accomplishment, that. She says that buying second hand and being much more careful about what she purchases has been a huge help. That, and her ever-loving husband Greg did some generous debt amnesty. Yay team!

Meanwhile - I applied for a job at hospice, well-recommended, perfectly qualified, and I rocked the interview. And found out Thursday I didn't get it, as they went for "a current Fairview employee." How does one ever get a foot in that particular door? Gotta say the door in the face program doesn't exactly encourage unbridled optimism. So now, I'm applying for anything and everything in the hopes that I may land a job that will eventually be full time, permanent, and with benefits. It's like the Holy Grail, methinks. And the other pisser? I'll be lucky to be hired at the wages I was making when I quit FT employment 5 years ago. And the inflation in these past 5 years means it doesn't exactly go as far... I'm pretty discouraged. I know, I know - I was lucky to stay home and raise my kids for these 5 years. I just didn't realize that I'd constantly be hamstrung by those missing years. Latest stats: 10% loss of lifetime wages for each two years at home. That would give me 20-25% less earnings over the span of my career. AAaaargh.

Anyhow - I've been a little scant on columns, but mostly absent is my enthusiasm. Here's what Ali has to say about it.


Ali - October 21 at 7:58pm
okI think yr going lukewarm on yr blog b/c yr not getting enough feedbk from yr readersyou are inspiring us along with generally edifying & entertaining toorefocus & keep it upcall me 4 coffee if u need sum new material love, al

So, Gentle (somewhat addled) Readers - whaddya say? How have you tried to change your consumption patterns and why? What have you noticed is easy to let go of? What changes are you resisting and why?

Do give me a few examples, and I'll try to pull together a coherent summary.

I do have a few old & moldy columns to lay out there. Please save us all from that particular fate and drop a line or two, with feedback or suggestions.

Thanks heaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback and suggestions, provided they are constructive. Thanks.